Monday, October 20, 2008

Blue Monday Suzy Homemaker

Sally of Smiling Sally is hosting a Blue Monday event. She has invited anyone who would like to join in to do so! Go on over to her blog and see who is playing today! Today I am sharing a post I did in April of 2006.

That is me on the left and my sister Cindy on the right. Cindy was born the day before my first birthday so we aren't even a year apart in age :) Notice the blue of my Suzy Homemaker oven!


Do you ever hear or see something that jogs your memory back to your childhood? Yesterday I received a catalog in the mail called Betty's Attic. It is full of lots of retro things. I remember having so many of the toys they show (including the ugliest monkey!).

So, getting the catalog made me think about some old toys that I had. I remember having a Suzy Homemaker oven when I was little (I'm the one on the left!) I knew somewhere I had this picture. It was taken in January 1967 when I was still 5 years old. It's one of the few pictures I have of me as a child. I remember making cakes in this oven. It was sort o f the precursor to the Easy Bake Oven. :)


What I remember most about this picture has NOTHING to do with the Suzy Homemaker oven. I remember right around this time I was tattling on my sister Cindy for saying a bad word. (I think it was hell). I remember my mother asking me what she had said and I cried and cried because I just couldn't bring myself to say the word.


Memories are funny things!!


take care,
Dawn

23 comments:

SmilingSally said...

lol You gave me a chuckle, Dawn; thank you. I remember those ovens, although that was way AFTER my childhood time. They "baked" with a light bulb I think. Thanks for sharing. Happy Blue Monday!

Debi said...

That is just the cutest story, Dawn! Did Cindy get in trouble?

Have a wonderful week!

Unknown said...

Your story has me chuckling this morning. Kids aren't like that anymore are they?

You and your sister could be models for Beezus and Ramona. Are you sure Beverly Clearly is not your mother? LOL

Lorrie said...

What a fun post Dawn. I remember the Easy Bake oven. I didn't have one but a friend did. It's fun to take a walk down memory lane!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn. You little cutie you! Love that smile and sister's and that little oven. How sweet!! Happy Blue Monday!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

Well, things change, don't they? Just kidding, you're still a very good girl. And, I've heard that you still bake. Hum?!

Honestly Dawn, could Timmy look any more like you?

Did they have a good time this weekend?

Darlene said...

Hi Dawn,

That is such a cute picture and so funny that you remember that you were tattling on your sister....lol

I didn't have one of those ovens but I did have an Easy Bake oven that I LOVED!!!

Anonymous said...

Dawn, I am so amused that you couldn't say a bad word even when tattling. That cracked me up. Your toy oven was definitely a precursor to Easy Bake. My girls loved theirs. That is about the only girl thing they did. Thanks to my dh they were such tom boys. lol. You and your sister are so cute. I'm glad you shared your photo again, as I never saw the first one.

Hugs...Jeanne

Knitty said...

Sweet picture and cute story!

Sweetie said...

I love the picture and the story. Do you remember the boxes with the baking supplies? Happy Blue Monday!
Sweetie

Patty said...

I love the haircuts! I think my sister and I had the same ones except our hair was curlier. I don't remember this oven but I did have an Easy Bake (and wish I still had it). Fun post!

Baba said...

Hi Dawn, my girls had the Easy Bake Oven, but ate up the cakes too fast...Your have a very pretty background for your blog..this story of you and your sister is priceless..Have a good day. Baba

Anne Fannie said...

Hi Dawn, what a cute picture and cute little memory of you and your sister.
I am going to look for that catalog!
Love, Ann

Coloradolady said...

what a sweet photo. I love how certain things take us back in time too. It is great. I think I am going to request one of those catalogs. great post. Happy Blue Monday.

Anonymous said...

What a great picture and story! I really enjoyed reading your post. Happy Blue Monday!

Anonymous said...

I remember those! My cousin had one, and I always wanted one but never had one (sniff.) But it was fun when we played with hers -- we were so pleased with our little creations.

Grandma Faith said...

Thanks for sharing your sweet story. I love family memories, even when they are from someone else's family. Love, Faith

Kim said...

Hi Dawn,

What a sweet and funny post you shared with us today. I am just a few years younger than you so I don't remember the blue Suzie Homemaker overs, but boy do I remember those Easy Bake ovens and those awful brownies we made in them. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :)

Happy Blue Monday!!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story Dawn. I never said a cuss word (thought I might be zapped with lightning or something if I did) until I was pregnant with my second child. I said hell then and a few other curses. I'm blaming it on the hormones!!

Liz Harrell said...

What an adorable picture! Love it!

imjacobsmom said...

Cute Pixie haircuts! I remember that oven well. I could probably dig a picture out of myself in the same pose with the same oven. Happy Blue Monday! ~ Robyn

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

You are so cute. I think everybody had one of those ovens. Cute story about the bad word ,LOL.

Anonymous said...

Some memories are so funny, especially with sisters.. bus as my sister and I now agree..God surely blessed us with each other..but ah..some of those memories..:)..how they make me smile.
Come visit...xx