Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The honeymoon is over!

Well not technically the honeymoon, more like summer vacation. Yesterday was the first day that I headed into my classroom to get ready for a new school year. This is the view from the door! All the furniture has been corralled into the middle of the room so they could wax the floors. The custodians usually put the furniture back in place according to the floor plan we leave. I guess I was in too soon. Though with school starting in two weeks I don't think that's too soon to expect a kindergarten room to get set up!!

This is Tim sitting at my desk. He's playing with some of his toys while I survey the room.


This is the center of our room. I tried to move some things today but I couldn't move some of the things and if I scratched that newly waxed floor there would be you know what to pay!!!!


I have 15 big totes of "stuff" to unpack. I packed it all up in June. The shelves behind the sheets are filled with even more stuff to put away. The children's cubbies are behind those sheets. I wanted to start yesterday, but it wasn't going to happen without the furniture being where it belongs.
We also have boxes of new supplies and materials to be unpacked too! I don't know how they think it can all be done in the two hours that they contractually give us! I'll be spending quite a few days of the next two weeks here. They haven't finished waxing the halls so it might be even longer before I can actually get into the "dirty work" of setting up.

take care,
Dawn


9 comments:

Darlene said...

Your room looks big and like it is really nice. I look forward to seeing it when you have it all arranged.

I just think all teachers are so special being able to put up with everyone's children and teach them all day....so consider yourself special in my book...:)

SmilingSally said...

I used to even go in on Saturdays; you have to in order to be ready. And then there's the meetings! Why do principals and department heads want to meet so often? And the copy machine!

Oh, I have to make myself stop; I'm getting exhausted.

Unknown said...

Hi Dawn,
I'm sitting here chuckling at smilingals comments above me. It doesn't matter where you are...teachers have so many of the same issues don't they?

Your room looks great! I know you've got lots of hard work ahead...and I feel for you! But you'll get it done!

Yesterday was my first day back. Everyone was so nice...I was treated like 'company'....but my honeymoon is probably almost over too.

I spent the day dibels testing, and won't start pulling kids for interventions til next week. Even though I had an easy day, I was so tired last night. It takes time to get used to a new routine!

Have a great day today,
Diane

Anonymous said...

Bummer you weren't able to get started. Do you want us all to come help?

You're such a great teacher.

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Poor thing ! Looks like you have your work cut out for you . Nice room though .

Anonymous said...

Dawn, It is hard to believe school is starting again. This summer flew by for me too. So much company made the days go by in a flash. I think you have a very nice room in which to teach. It looks spotless. That's nice. I would have liked my children to attend school there.

You are in the drawing, as I write my comment. Good luck and thanks for being a friend I would love to have coffee with!

Hugs, Jeanne

Picket said...

What a huge great room you have to work in though...I know those sweet kids must love coming in and seeing you each day..that young age can be so frightening for some to have to leave mama I daddy...our little 3 yr old granddaughter Sofie just got moved up into the big kids room and she loves it...every morning see runs to meet her sweet teacher and get her day started..it is teachers like you that make such a difference in our little treasures' lives...thank you so much for all you do... and keep playing with that Fresco effect on your photos..some can turn out awesome!!!! Have a great day sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn!

I feel for you, girlfriend. I'm right there with ya! It takes forever to get it all set up and back to normal, doesn't it? Your room looks really nice and big. Is it a newer school? Do you have bathrooms in your room? At my school, there are only two rooms that were built to be kindergarten rooms, with plenty of storage space and bathrooms. I'm lucky enough to have one of those rooms, but the bad news is that there are now 6 kindergarten rooms and the other 4 rooms aren't as big, so there are some hard feelings there.

I was thinking today that maybe this year we could do something together with our kids using the Internet, like online pen pals or something? My principal is motivating us to set up Skype and do video conferencing somehow, which could be an option. Can you imagine? LOL We live in a world where our classes could wave and talk to each other instantaneously. It's like being a Jetson! I'm trying to think of a good way to use it, though. Let me know if you think of anything and are interested.
:-) We could be the techie kindergarten queens!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn,
I have been working away for a week in my room - it's almost finished. What a mess it was! I'd love to see your room when it is all finished!