Monday, November 17, 2008

Because I'm the mother I can embarrass them!

Yes, I am going to embarrass my children. Every year at Thanksgiving I hang up decorations. Every year I hang up a piece of writing Brittainy wrote when she was eight years old. Every year she tells me how much she hates it. I will continue to hang it until it either falls apart or I am no longer able to proudly display it.

Let me tell you what this says:

To: My mother

Thank you for:

giving me a nice home with lots of toys and food.

And most of all for being my mother.

From: Brittainy

I told her that it is nothing to be embarrassed about. I actually love it and that is why I have hung it up for the last 20 years.

Britt says I have to put something on this post that will embarrass Tim too. I don't think he is embarrassed by his work. This is a turkey he made when he was in Kindergarten. I also think this is lovely and it is hanging up in our living room for all to see!!!

take care,
Dawn

13 comments:

Lorrie said...

I love these sweet decorations Dawn. The things our children make are the best of all. I still have a big Rubbermaid box in the attic full of their artwork, schoolwork and cards that they've written over the years. As the commercial says: Priceless!

Darlene said...

Those are great decorations. We always LOVE our children's art!!!

SmilingSally said...

lol Your artwork is unusual but distinctive!

Anonymous said...

Dawn, you are the best mother ever. I love these memories, and I do believe Brittainy will soon be hanging pieces of art in her house, too.

Neabear said...

Yep, these things can be so special. Until our children are parents themselves, they don't realize how special it is. I still have a tree top angel my son made from a toilet paper roll. There is just something about it, I had to save it.

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Aww, those are so sweet. I'd frame her writing, then it will last forever, and ever, and ever...lol! B would love that :0). Tim's turkey is fab. He was all ready showing his artistic talents. Love the turkey "legs". lol!

Nola said...

Dawn, Scan that into the computer right now and save it forever! I scan all the little artwork, cards, etc... Then I have a copy of them on disc, safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn, sorry I am so late commenting. One of those therapy days and this am we sisters got together for coffee. LOL. By the time I came home it was time to get ready for therapy.

I love Britt's letter and Tim's picture of a turkey. I love the forks for feet. So cute. I bet they both would be disappointed if you didn't hang them no matter how much they protest. It's a tradition. Smile!

Have a great evening. Get in bed and read a good book.

Hugs..Jeanne

Cottage Rose said...

Hey Dawn; AWWWWWWWWWW how sweet,, squeal!!!!! I love what Brit wrote she should not be embarrassed, and I just love Tim's Turkey, how cute it is. I loved it when my kids brought home there art work...

Have a great week.

Hug;s
Alaura

Unknown said...

Hi Dawn,
That art work is so precious! I have to agree with Nola,
it would be great to scan it so you'll always have a copy!

Debi said...

Sheesh...I don't think either one of them has any reason to be embarrassed! Those are priceless pieces of art, incredible treasures! Despite the fact that my mom and I are truly wonderful friends, and I count myself among the truly blessed to have her, I don't think she saved anything like that that my brother or I made...and I really wish she had!

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

hehe! You sound exactly like my mom! She does the exact same thing with my old projects.
This year will be my first away from home for Christmas (just moved to Germany)... and suddenly I'm missing those things that used to drive me so crazy. So keep hanging 'em up. :)
Katie

Nikki Mo said...

NICE!!! ... THE RED TURKEY LEG FORKS
ARE TO CLEVER...

SEE YA.
MONIQUE