Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Trash to Treasure Tuesday


My friend Diane is hosting a new blogging event called Trash to Treasure Tuesday! I struggled to think of what to post. I wanted to join in the fun, but don't have a lot of trash to treasure items to share. Please visit her blog, A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words to see what others have done today.
After some searching I finally came up with something. A couple of years ago I took an old Maxwell house five pound coffee can (trash) and turned it into what I hoped was a treasure for the person I gave it to.
The first thing I did was peel off the paper and then I spray painted it dark blue. Several years ago Rich bought me a drill for Christmas. I've always been afraid of power tools (how girly of me!) but I got tired of having to ask him to do all the work for me. I drilled a hole on each side of the can and added a wire handle. I splattered white paint over the blue can and then painted some snowmen along the bottom. I filled the can with individual bags of snowman soup. Each bag has an instant hot cocoa in it, along with some marshmallows, Hershey kisses and small candy cane. The bag topper can be found here.

Here you have it. My first posting of trash to treasure.

take care,
Dawn

25 comments:

Darlene said...

Morning Dawn,

That is ABSOLUTELY adorable!!! I have an empty tin can right now that might become one of those...CUTE, CUTE!!!!!

Unknown said...

Okay Dawn,
You've been holding out on us! I bet you have all kind of creative stuff you've done!

This is adorable! What a great gift for someone you want to remember during the holidays!

Thanks for joining in!
Diane

Lorrie said...

Hi Dawn,

That's a great item for Trash-to-Treasure! You've inspired me to do the same thing. Very cute!

Missy Wertz said...

Dawn, that is adorable and very Kewl! Great to have sitting out during the holiday and winter season. And it matches my kitchen!!

Bo said...

Hi Dawn...first time visit from me...what a cute idea...your friend must have been thrilled with this darling gift! ;-) Bo

Anonymous said...

You are a pure genius! ;-)

Don't worry, I'll never forget.

Debi said...

Oh Dawn, that is so freakin' adorable!!! What a lovely, lovely gift!

Tracy said...

HI, Dawn! This is such fun...And I LOVE what you did with a humble coffee can--it's beautiful, and so festive for the season. You are so clever! Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

Picket said...

Oh that is adorable!!!!! What a great idea! Happy trash to treasure day girl!

SmilingSally said...

Precious! I love snowmen, maybe because of where I live.

Nola said...

Dawn, that's fabulous! You are really talented. I love the idea, and I love containers of any kind; the fact that yours was home made makes it even sweeter!

Lori said...

Love it!! Great way to use those cans.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

So CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

That is fantastic! I love it and it's so cute.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Dawn!

I am like you, as I don't have too many trash to treasure items to share and had to get creative to find one ...lol....but I love this crafty idea using the coffee can as part of a gift! It could hold many different little gifts and makes a cute container to use afterwards! I love your snowmen and the way you made it look like it was snowing. Great idea! Thanks!
hugs, Pat
Hugs, Pat

Magnolia Memories08 said...

Dawn how are any of us going to top
that little entry. Too Cute. I really want to do one of those for
Cooper and Connor. I'll have to get
someone to save me coffee cans. I want to particpate but I can not get the link added.Thanks I love
your blog I am working on mine. But
it needs alot of help.

Daphine said...

Are you kidding me!?!?!? WOW! This is beautiful!!!! WOW again! I purposely waited to stroll down the page to see what you'd made out of the can...I knew that it would be nice ...but was so not expecting the fabulous turn out of something this adorable! Thanks for sharing this! Beautiful treasure!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn! Oh, that is wonderful! I hope you make some this year for Christmas presents. Too cute.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Dawn, This is a great idea and turned out so cute! You did good! :) ~Rhonda

{oc cottage} said...

Too darn cute!

M ^..^

Kelli@SassySouthernMom said...

Hey Dawn,

How clever!! Such a cute idea..and who doesn't love snowmen, and hot cocoa? Have a great week!

Mad Red Hare said...

Girl, that is so cute! What a way to recycle.

Betsy said...

Great way to share Christmas goodies.

bj said...

Why, Dawn...this is the cutest thing, ever! How adorable....you are talented, lady....
love, bj

Kim's Treasures said...

That is a great trash to treasure!!!