Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Trash to Treasure Tuesday ~ Thanksgiving


My friend Diane is hosting a new blogging event called Trash to Treasure Tuesday! I didn't think I'd have anything to share today, but much like last week I gave some thought as to what I could post and came up with today's idea. Please visit Diane's blog, A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words to see what others have done today.
Years ago I used to date a man who would love to go to antique shops and auctions. I tagged along and found I had a fondness for antique post cards. My favorite (and biggest collection) are the Christmas post cards. Those will wait until next month!
I pulled down some Thanksgiving decorations last night and scanned these Thanksgiving cards to share.
This first one is by my favorite post card artist, Ellen Clapsaddle



This next one has a message on the back that reads: Dear Little Ruth,
I wish many Thanksgiving. We are well. Hope yous are all well also. from Grandma and Grandpa. This was addressed to Ruth Sibley Moriah Essex county NY. Wouldn't it be wonderfully amazing if someone who knew little Ruth saw this?

The next three cards are from Raphael Tuck and sons Thanksgiving Day post card series No. 161



The card above reads: and when autumn clothed woodland in her robes bright and gay. It was there the thankful Pilgrims kept the first Thanksgiving Day

At some point in time someone had discarded these cards and they are now a welcome addition to my collection.
take care,
Dawn

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn, you know I love these cards. I am always tempted to collect them, too. But alas, I need to buy more things like I need another hole in my head. ;-)

Unknown said...

Dawn,
These are true treasures! Thanks for posting these.

My son has a collection of old postcards from our town!

Do you mind if I link you?
Diane

Gone said...

What beauties, Dawn!!!

Anonymous said...

Dawn, your postcards are a real treasure. I used to sell them and now I wish I had kept them all. These Thanksgiving cards are so sweet. Lucky you to have the sense to collect them. Can't wait to see your Christmas ones.

Love...Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Dawn
Your Thanksgiving cards are lovely. What an interesting collection that is, postcards. Really sweet.
I love bunnies and recently I found an old bunny postcard and I'll have to post that too.
Yes wouldn't it be neat if someone recognized those cards...
Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful day Dawn.
Judi

Deb said...

Dawn, your postcards are definitely little treasures! Beautiful collection.

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Hi Dawn, I really like your card collection. They would be pretty framed.

Darlene said...

Hi Dawn,

That is a fabulous collection of Thanksgiving postcards...those are sooooo SWEET!

SmilingSally said...

Dawn, you have the most interesting things. I love these cards!

Lorrie said...

I love your card collection Dawn! And yes, we have speculated over the years as to who the intials "HB" could belong to! I guess it's always going to be a mystery....

Picket said...

I love the vintage cards...they just have such a beautiful look to them.....most cards these days are so cookie cutter and not as beautiful as the old ones...great treasure girl!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi, I popped over from Diane's blog, and I am so happy because I love old postcards. I have a collection that belonged to my family. I always love to see what sentiments on the cards they thought were humorous or sentimental in the years they were printed. I've not found as many Thanksgiving cards, so these are fun to see! Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Sheila :-)

Missy Wertz said...

Your collection of cards are exquisite! You would never find them now and not in that kind of condition. Nice collection.

Anonymous said...

Afternoon, Dawn. I love your little vintage cards. The artwork is so beautiful. Did you know you can find lots of these on the internet?
Thanks for coming by today.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Dawn, Love these beautiful post cards! They would be so pretty framed! What a great treasure!

So glad Brittany is in her new home! I love the brown jug, and the pencil scetches were amazing of the kids! ~Rhonda :)

Mad Red Hare said...

Those postcards are quite a treasure. I have seen lots of postcards, but I haven't ever seen several of those.

Anonymous said...

I love vintage cards. These are too cool! You are lucky to have these treaures! :-)

Cottage Rose said...

Hey Dawn; I love all your post cards of Thanksgiving. They are so pretty, I just love the vintage kind.
Have a great week.

Hugs;
Alaura

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Hi Dawn! you know I love old postcards. These are fantastic.

Nikki Mo said...

Those are great old style cards. I love them.