Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Bazaar and Salt Dough Ornaments part two!

Last year the PTA at our school started a Christmas Bazaar. They ask families to donate gently used items. All of these items are placed on a table in the activity room. The children are invited to go in and shop for their families. Tickets are sold at the door (25 cents each). The gifts cost anywhere from one ticket (25 cents) to four tickets ($1). Parents don't come in with the children. There are volunteers who are personal shoppers for the younger children. Other volunteers wrap the gifts for you. I have taken Tim and Mackenzie the last two years.

They also have a pancake breakfast and Santa is there for you to take pictures with him. You can bring your own camera to do this. I tried getting Mackenzie to sit with Santa. She wanted no part of it. I almost had her convinced to stand next to him. She did with Tim by her side.


There was also a craft fair. The same woman who made the ornaments I showed you the other day was there again. I bought a couple more ornaments from her. Tim picked out the baseball player to give to Rich. I love gingerbread men so I bought one of those :) and the Santa she made was just beautiful. I also picked up an ornament for Britt with Mackenzie and Jack's name on it. She also had the most incredible set of Wizard of Oz ornaments as well! I didn't buy them, but was in awe of how wonderful they looked. I put my name in the raffle again for her ornaments. Wish me luck!









In the bag of the ornaments I bought she enclosed the recipe.

Here it is if any of you would like to try it.

Salt Dough Ornaments
Yields approximately 10-12 3" ornaments

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup fine salt (not iodized if possible)
Mix well and add:
1/2 cup hot water. Mix again.
Form on small pieces of foil. Insert small wire or paper clip into top of ornament for a hanger. Bake at 285ยบ for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until totally hard. Paint with acrylic craft paints.

Who knows, I may even try this myself.

take care,
Dawn

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn, this lady does exceptional work. I can see why you love these ornaments.

Poor Mackenzie. I didn't want to be near Santa when I was little either.

SmilingSally said...

Yeah, lol, like the recipe is going to give me ornaments like you're showing! lol Not me, Dawn. Maybe you, because you're so artistic, but for sure not me.

I wish that lady lived around me. Could you imagine an entire tree decorated with those ornaments! Oh, I could just envision a nativity set of them. Wow, now I'm totally GREEN.

Darlene said...

Those are some beautiful ornaments. The lady does a great job. What fun for the children to buy their own presents for parents.

Anonymous said...

Those are really cute. I have a few ornaments like these that I bought at craft fairs and wondered how they made them. I might give it a try sometime. :-)

Anonymous said...

OH DAWN,I HAVEN'T SEEN THESE IN YEARS.THEY'RE AWESOME.WE MADE THESE WHEN I WAS A LITTLE GIRL.I'M GOING TO KEEP THIS RECIPE.JUST IN CASE THE GKIDS AND I MAKE EM.THANK YYOU,,,ANN

Missy Wertz said...

Your Dough ornaments are great!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn! Oh, these little ornaments are just precious! I tried making these one time and I just couldn't get it right! Thanks for coming to see my little dolls.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Oh those are so sweet Dawn . And Mackenzie is so cute !

Unknown said...

Hi Dawn,
I love these ornaments! They are so Christmasy. Thanks for the recipe...but I bet mine wouldn't turn out like yours! LOL

Cute pictures too!

Diane

Neabear said...

How cool the recipe was included!! That is amazing. I may try it too. I wrote it on my list of craft ideas I have gotten from our blogger friends. I am guessing that after they are painted then a sealer is added. That would be what makes them so shiny I would think. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Anderson Family said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I think we might try it this year, although we usually buy custom ornaments.