Sunday, December 21, 2008

Countdown to Santa



My daughter Brittainy is twenty eight years old. When she was three it was hard for her to understand how long of a wait it would be before Christmas came. I was reading a magazine that year. I think it was Family Circle or Woman's day. In the magazine I saw the pattern for an advent calendar to help little one see just how long it would be until Christmas arrived. I found some scraps of material and made this.


Each night before bed Britt could hang a candy cane on the tree. I told her when all the candy canes were gone Santa would come. Some years I put little treats in the stockings. It was a great way for her to see how many days she needed to wait.

Tim has also used this since he was about three years old. This year I had plans to make another one so I could give this back to Britt to use with her children. I never got to it, but I will try to have a new one made for next year.

take care,
Dawn

10 comments:

Lorrie said...

Good morning Dawn! This is such a sweet idea--I've never seen a candy cane Advent calender before. I love that you made it yourself. Next year your grandchildren will be hanging their own candy canes thanks to their terrific grandma!

SmilingSally said...

This is another GREAT idea, Dawn! I wish I'd have had this years ago.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Dawn, would you believe I woke up because the phone rang after 8:00am. My daughter was shocked. My Babette would never let me sleep this late. I do miss her so much. sigh.

Your Santa count down pic is cute. I love your advent calendar. I think we had one one year but the children were older. With the chaos of five kids running around I don't think they cared. LOL.

Christmas love...Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Dawn
This is such a sweet idea and I know it would help little ones as they count down to Christmas. It gets so busy at Christmas time and you do so much but maybe you'll have time to do it next year. Very sweet.
have a lovely day Dawn.
Judi

Anonymous said...

You are amazing, and this is adorable. I know Brittainy would love having it for her two babes.

How's the snow?

Anonymous said...

Afternoon, sweet Dawn! Oh, what a clever and sweet way for your child to wait for Santa! This is precious! I pray you and your family will have a very blessed Merry Christmas, my friend,
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Unknown said...

Hi Dawn,
Love the advent calendar! You are one talented and creative girl!

Diane

Neabear said...

I have used different types of advent calendars with my kids when they were growing up. We used to call it "how many more sleeps" until some special day they are looking forward to. One year while camping, my son was enjoying it so much he wondered how many more sleeps before we had to go home. He wanted a lot of sleeps before going home that year. I love that memory of him.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Looks so festive!

Nikki Mo said...

fun & festive!!!