Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas in an Elementary School


Well, the day is finally here. It's the last day of school before our vacation. It seems like we have had no time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The children are excited beyond words. Last Thursday the kindergarten went to a local theater to see the play Madeline's Christmas. It was wonderful and they all enjoyed it. Friday we had a half day because of the weather. This week we have only planned fun things to do. Yesterday we learned about Hanukkah and had potato latkes (I'm still full from those!) and played the dreidel game.


Today is Pajama Day. We are all wearing our pajamas to school. I'm showing them the Polar Express. I have hot cocoa and donut holes for them...as well as candy canes. Their stockings are all stuffed and ready to go home along with their gifts to their families. PHEW! I'm ready for vacation.

If you have ever worked in an elementary school you will find the lyrics to this song so true LOL!

Here's a little ditty to make you smile.


Christmas in an Elementary School
( Sung to the tune of Winter Wonderland)

Children scream, they're not listnen'
When they go, we don't miss em',
In all of this pain, we try to stay sane,
Workin' in an elementary school.

Christmas comes they're excited,
Though our nerves they've ignited,
They're off of the walls; they run in the halls,
Workin' in an elementary school.

In the lunchroom we can hear them yellin'
And we know that they are really wound.
Someone hits, the other says, "I'm tellin'!"
And that is when our heads begin to pound.

Pretty soon we'll be restin'
Cause our nerves, they've been testin'
We're happy it's clear,
It just comes once a year
Christmas in an Elementary School !
take care,
Dawn

16 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I've never heard that song, and I had fun singing it aloud! Enjoy your vacation.

Anonymous said...

I love it. I know you would love to sing it for me. ;-)

We watched The Polar Express last night.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Dawn
How special today is your last day of school until the new year. I bet you have all had a great time leading up to this day and the children would be SO excited...nice Dawn.
Enjoy your day and stay comfy in your pjs. What a great idea!
Judi

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Dawn, You guys get a lot later than us! And yet, I have two children sitting under me, bored stiff, so that doesn't sound too bad! LOL!

Love your reindeer food below, and the packaging is super cute!

Wishing you and your family a wonderful and blessed Christmas! ~hugs, Rhonda :)

Femin Susan said...

Wow, you have a great poetic heart! Your words still echo in my ears. Keep it coming! Good job ! Great…….
You are welcome to my blog…….
Wishing you "A Merry X'Mas and A Happy New Year''

Anonymous said...

YEA! Schools out for the holidays. I bet you are worn out. Time to get Christmas ready now. LOL. No break for a mom. The song is so cute and so true. My niece just had pajama day at her school. She loved it!

Tomorrow I am bringing reindeer food to my niece and nephew. I can't wait to see their reaction. Thanks again for the idea.

I am posting a Christmas greeting tomorrow and then I will take a few days off from posting.

Our daughter is coming for several days after Christmas and I want to give her my full attention. Two of my grandsons, her boys, will be here too. She is bringing Tanner, her new dog. We are excited to meet him. Sadly her dh must work.

Christmas blessings to you and your family Dawn.

Love Jeanne

Darlene said...

YAY you are finally out of school! PJ days watching Polar Express are just too much fun!!

Cottage Rose said...

OH Dawn; I so loved the song how cute. Well with all you have been up to with school, no wonder you are ready for a vacation. I am tired just reading your post. lol

Have a very Merry Christmas.

Hugs;
Alaura

Unknown said...

We did the pj thing at the school I was subbing at...and watched the Polar Express too!

I'm so glad you're getting a well deserved vacation! Enjoy every minute!

BTW, I made Connor the reindeer food! I printed out your poem-they did the exact poem at his school, so now he has 2 bags! LOL

Diane

Vintage Papers said...

If there is righteousness in the heart,
There will be beauty in the character.
If there is beauty in the character,
There will be harmony in the home.
If there is harmony in the home,
There will be order in the nation.
If there is order in the nation,
There will be peace in the world.
So let it be.

~Scottish Blessing

Merry Christmas!

Neabear said...

Loved your song! Reminds me of the 12 years I worked as an instructional aide in a special education classroom. I miss having that time off. It was hard adjusting to working during the time I used to have off. I work today for 4 hours hopefully no more than that and I get to be off tomorrow. But Friday is going to be a killer 8 hour day for me. I am also scheduled to have New Year's day off too.

Anonymous said...

Hello Dawn, the reindeer food is ready to deliver. Thanks again for a great idea.

Merry Christmas greetings to you and your loved ones Dawn. Your friendship means so much to me.

Blessings and love...Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I love that song and can totally relate. I am glad you are finally done and on vacation. Now that Christmas is done, I plan on spending this whole next week just relaxing and taking it easy. :-)

Missy Wertz said...

DD loves PJ day and they had that the last day before letting out for the holidays as well.

Dawn,
I hope that you and your family had a wonderful and Merry Christmas this year!

Blessings,
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Hello Dawn, just an after Christmas greeting. I hope your Christmas was wonderful.

Hugs...Jeanne

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Dawn! Just catching up with everyone. I hope you and your family had a fantastic and very Merry Christmas. I feel like I've been gone forever, lol!
If I don't "speak" with you before then...MAY YOU HAVE A VERY HAPPY, HEALTHY, AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!!!
Hugs!