Monday, December 15, 2008

Stuff A Bus


We're teaming up with the United States Marines' Toys For Tots program to help insure that NO CHILD ON CAPE COD will go without a present on Christmas morning!

Kevin from "Kevin & Co." will be broadcasting live non-stop for 60 hours from a First Student school bus collecting new, unwrapped toys that will go to children right here in our community!
From WCOD 106.1
Our local radio station WCOD (clever name for a Cape Cod station) hosted a stuff a bus event this weekend. They asked their listener to bring a new unwrapped toy to the TOYS R US store where they were broadcasting live this weekend. Last night Rich and Tim went buy and bought a few toys to donate. Tim was so excited to get to meet Kevin, the DJ. We listen to that station in the car, at home and I have it on every morning at school. They are playing non stop Christmas music and I am in heaven listening to it. I look forward to it every year. Click on the link, LISTEN LIVE and you can listen too....no matter where you are!!
Last year the collected over 9,000 toys and about two hours before the collection ended I heard Kevin say that they have filled over 15 buses with toys and had over 10,500 donated toys that will be given out to the children of Cape Cod this Christmas. I heard this morning that the grand total was 11, 389!
I love the spirit of giving...knowing you are helping bring a smile to the face of a child is the greatest gift!!
take care,
Dawn

10 comments:

Darlene said...

That is always a fabulous cause and WOW it sounds like the community responds very favoribly with that DJ to bring so many toys for the unfortunate children. That just makes my heart sing.....

SmilingSally said...

I think that this is an excellent idea, and I hope that the bus is spilling over before the day is done.

Anonymous said...

Joy to the world! This is a wonderful demonstration of the goodness of our fellow man.

Thank you for sharing this story, Dawn.

Anonymous said...

Dawn, We returned home late last night. I am so far behind in my visits. What a wonderful thing to do for children who need the love. I bet that bus will be really stuffed be the time this is done/ What a great idea. Good for you Dawn.

I loved trying to surprise you on the phone but you are way too smart to fall for that. Actually you surprised me by the hello Jeanne remark. LOL. I am so happy you loved the ornaments along with Tim.
They look great to. Gotta run and visit 'tons' of Pinkies etc.

Christmas love...Jeanne

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

What a great ideal ! I am so glad they had a good response.

Lorrie said...

What a great cause and it sounds like a terrific response from the community. How fun for Tim to meet the DJ. I bet it was a real thrill for him!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the story Dawn!

3 of my kiddos skipped school today and spent their day going through and separating the donated toys. Apparently there are so many toys that they will be going back again for another day!
The kids said that it was a fantastic day that really made you appreciate the spirit of Christmas.

Unknown said...

I just heard more details from one of the people that is in charge of the sorting/separating of the toys. The amount of toys is just incredible and lots more help is needed. I am going back with all 4of the kids on Wednesday for the whole day and Thursday for a 1/2 a day. From what she said, only a small dent was made today even though they worked all day.
It is so heart-warming to hear how generous people have been :)

Anonymous said...

Evening, Dawn! Oh, this is a great idea! Makes my heart be filled with love to know so many people are so generous to help the little children.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Unknown said...

Hi Dawn,
This sounds like a great project to get involved with!

And so glad that Tim got to meet the DJ!