Monday, December 22, 2008

Reindeer Food

Every year I make Reindeer Food to give the children in my class. I usually make it to put in their stockings. I also make extra to have for Tim.

If you are interested in helping Santa's reindeer find their way to your house with ease, here is the recipe.

In a mixing bowl empty a container of oatmeal (uncooked of course).

Mix in some red sugar crystals. (I've also used glitter before, but sugar crystals are the best!)

Then add some green sugar.
Mix well!
Put into individual bags and label.

Here's a close up of the bag.

I got this jar yesterday and filled it with the left overs for Tim to feed the reindeer.

Here's some he has sprinkled in the past. We always leave a carrot for Rudolph. Leading the sleigh is hard work you know!

If you would like to try this here is the tag I made. Feel free to copy and use it! It's guaranteed to help the reindeer find your home with ease!




take care,
Dawn

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That is such a cute gift idea for little kids.

We are having our family Christmas tomorrow night, I may have to make this with Connor today...just don't have the colored sugar. Guess regular glitter would work?

Diane

Anonymous said...

I have to love a girl that makes reindeer food. Will you adopt me?

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Dawn
You never cease to amaze me with all that you do...and for what you do with the children in your class. You put so much extra imagination and dedication into your time with them.
This is the most fabulous idea. The children must be so excited when they receive it.
Lovely...
have a lovely day
Judi

Darlene said...

In Pre-K Lexi's class made reindeer feed (they used glitter with the oatmeal). When she came home with it she was just too excited. Frankly, I was too....as I had never heard of that idea. I LOVE it and we do it each year now....even with her at this age.

Anonymous said...

Dawn, I have never heard of reindeer food before. What a sweet idea for the little ones. I can just picture their excitement in bringing that package home. The poem is so cute. I think I will make some for my niece and nephew. They live with my sister and they are young enough to really believe. Thanks for the cutest idea.

Christmas love...Jeanne

SmilingSally said...

I love this idea too! You are so clever and your students so fortunate.

Sugar makes sense since you really don't want glitter in your yard; it'd stay there for decades!

Anonymous said...

This is the cutest idea! I've only seen reindeer poop before - red hots! lol
be a sweetie,
Sheia :)

Anonymous said...

I also have never seen that idea---it's a great one! I'm certain those little kiddos loved their packages of reindeer food! Dana

Cottage Rose said...

Hey Dawn; Wow you make Reindeer food too, is there any thing you can't do. lol I bet you class just loved it. What a great idea, I will have to make some for my grandkids they will love it, or maybe eat it. lol

Have a Merry Christmas

Hugs;
Alaura

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Hi Dawn, how cute this is ! You are such a good teacher and mom !